Who’s the best listener in your life? You know, that person who just gets you. Don’t you wish you could clone him or her?
Yet other times, you might feel like a broken record, repeating the same message over and over—to people who seem tuned out. And no matter how important your topic or how persuasive you try to be, it doesn’t seem to get through. Bill, an experienced surgeon and hospital administrator, knows what that’s all about. Usually, he’s the one in control with everyone listening to him. He can fix just about anything—during surgery. Watch as Bill bravely explores how to navigate when he’s not in control.
If you want to be heard, stop trying so hard to get others to listen to you—and start listening to them. (Hint: This can be harder than it sounds. Especially when you’re passionate about whatever you want to share.) And when you do, you’ll be pleasantly surprised to find others are tuning in.
Your Awareness Prescription:
- When and with whom do you feel unheard?
- What do you do next (e.g., shut down, hold back, hit repeat, explode, leave)?
- Are you listening to others as deeply you want them to listen to you?
- What’s most important to them?
- How can you build a bridge between what’s important to you and what’s important to them?
Since we’re here to listen to you, please join the conversation and share your answers here.
We’re all ears,